b-hebrew - shamayim = sha + mayim ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Michael DePangher" <spectrum AT petrography.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: shamayim = sha + mayim ?
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 23:12:33 -0500

Dear Friends,
I am just learning Biblical Hebrew, so this may turn out to be just an
embarassing revelation of my ignorance.
The idea occurred to me that shamayim might be a compound word of sha (?)
+ mayim (waters) in a manner similar to ish (man) and ishah (woman) with
woman (Gen 2:23 -- she shall be called "ishah" because she was taken out
of "ish"). The idea would be something like "heaven" will be called
"shamayim" because it was taken out of the "mayim" in Gen 1:6-8. However,
Thayer/BDB and TWOT mention no connection of the word shamayim to the word
mayim (see below). Am I just seeing something fortuitous or is there
something that Thayer/BDB/TWOT have missed?
Thayer/BDB: H8064 shamayim {shaw-mah'-yim} dual of an unused singular
shameh {shaw-meh'}from an unused root meaning to be lofty; TWOT - 2407a;
n m
TWOT: noun common masculine plural absolute
2407.0 hmv (shmh) Assumed root of the following.
(2407a) (sh mayim) heaven, heavens, sky. (ASV and RSV similar).

Cheers.
Mike DePangher