b-hebrew - RE: The Flood

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ian Hutchesson <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: The Flood
  • Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 04:52:35 +0200

At 21.58 01/10/00 +0500, Peter Kirk wrote:
>As Ian declined to respond to the part of your posting retained below,

This is incorrect. I responded that the understanding of the terminology as
I understood it was not the generally used understanding.

Ian

Rolf wrote:
All those working with chronology know the difference between an absolute
and a relative chronology. The oldest astronomical diary listed in A.J.
Sachs, H. Hunger,1988, "Astronomical Diaries and Related Texts from
Babyulonia", is one from year 16 of Samashsumukin. Thus an *absolute*
chronology cannot go back longer than the 7th century BCE. If you are aware
of older astronomical data that can be used for an absolute chronology, I
will like to know it.