b-hebrew - Re: The Flood

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: The Flood
  • Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2000 22:51:38 +0200

Ian Hutchesson wrote,

>Dear Rolf,
>
>I don't think it is relevant to attempt to tie the notion of absolute
>chronology to astronomical (or other observable) phenomena. It is
>sufficient to have consecutive lengths of reigns, one of which can be
>associated to a fixed date. A relative chronology is one in which we know
>the order of events and perhaps the dates with in the chronology but that
>chronology cannot be tied to a fixed date. This is at least my
>understanding of how John Brinkman uses the terminology in his works on the
>reconstruction of Babylonian chronology. See for example "A Political
>History of Post-Kassite Babylonia 1158-722 BC," Chapter II, "Chronology".
>
>(Year 16 of the reign of Shamash-shum-ukin is sixteen years after
>Ashur-banipal sat on the Babylonian throne for a year. We then have a
>continuous series of reigns back from his period to the time of
>Shamshi-Adad. Brinkman takes the twenty synchronisms between Babylon and
>Assyria in the Post-Kassite era to provide the basis for an absolute
>chronology.)
>
>>Even if we cannot make an absolute chronology, a relative one can be made.
>>Such a chronology can be quite good, and I do not reject the Assyrian king
>>lists or other king lists, I have just asked why we should trust these
>>lists more than the Biblical chronological lists. And behind such a
>>question is the challenge to demonstrate that either of the lists are right
>>and wrong.
>
>I cannot hope to show that the Biblical chronological information is
>"right"; it doesn't figure as primary historical information (due to its
>late date) nor does the information it contains receive support -- except
>in a very cursory manner. I would however argue that, without ancient
>collusion to defraud posterity amongst the various realms of the ancient
>near east, there is enough cross-cultural primary and secondary historical
>evidence to say that the Assyrian King Lists are essentially historically
>correct.
>
>>So far I have not seen any plausible chronology going back to
>>the third millennium BCE. All I have seen build on several assumptions and
>>axioms and are not better than these. I would like to stress that I do not
>>reject historical reconstructions and chronologies, I just ask that we
>>critically scrutinize their foundations in order to discover circularity
>>and questionable axioms. One such fallacy is to to put age above quality.
>>It is for instance a general consensus among researchers that the creation
>>account in the Bible is taken from a Babylonian ora Sumerian source, and
>>the principal argument is that the Sumerian and Babylonian accounts are
>>older than Biblical manuscripts. I am at present working on a translation
>>of Atrahasis into Norwegian, and I am very familiar with the Gilgamesh Epic
>>and Enuma Elish as well. For me, the great difference of quality between
> [...]

Dear Ian,

I understand that you have done much work with this post, and it is a fine
post, because it presents the essence of the historical sciences in
connection with our subject.

The best place to dig in order to learn the history of the Middle East is
not in Israel, not in Jordan, not in Egypt, not in Syria, not in Iraq, but
rather in the basement of the British Museum. In the last 20 years, tablets
have been read and published, which even have jeopardized the New
Babylonian chronology, one of the best of the old chronologies. I do not
generally dispute the Assyrian king lists; I would just like to point out
that the last years of the Assyrian empire is not fully understood. The
Ada Guppi stela, for instance, cannot be perfectly harmonized with the
Assyrian chronology about Assurbannipal (the discrepancy is at least two
years), and there are other original tablets which cannot be harmonized
with the traditional chronology. This is very problematic because an
astronomical diary *must* be correct in everything; it cannot even bear a
one year's error.

These details, however, are not my concern here; what is in my mind, is the
general picture. In the Cambridge Ancient History I:2 there are
chronological tables from page 994. The first Egyptian dynasty is dated to
c. 3100 BCE and the Sumerian period is dated to 2700. Is it not strange
that there are no accounts of human cultures before these dates? (The age
of a few isolated finds of habitation are highly questionable.) Your post
represents the best outline that is possible to give of traditional
chronology, yet it is full of conjecture. This is of course necessary when
one wants to parallelize kings in different nations, and definite
astronomical dates are not available.

Even though your dates go beyond 2400 BCE, and the dates of the Cambridge
Ancient History go further back, still the oldest date of human culture is
not more than 700 years beyond 2.400 BCE. Keeping in mind how uncertain
dating is, particularly in the third millennium BCE, the dates of the
Cambridge Ancient History corroborates the 2.400 BCE date of the Bible
rather than contradicting it. I suppose that no chronologer who has
wrestled with ambiguous data would deny the possibility that a real old
chronological scheme is 23 % off the track. This is all we need to reduce
Egyptian history by 700 years (from 3100 to 2400). In my view it is highly
remarkable that human culture suddenly apears on the scene 3.100 BCE or 700
years earlier. This accords better with the Biblical information than with
the traditional evolutionary scheme.

What I have tried to do in this thread, is to plead our ignorance. While
the Biblical information about a worldwide flood is categorically rejected
by most researchers, this is not done on the basis of data, but rather on
the basis of the paradigm to which most are subscribing. Because clear
astronomical data are lacking in the third millennium BCE and historical
information is scarce, there are no data that really contradict the
Biblical information about the flood, but the young age of human culture
and the fact that the surface of the earth is very young, accords with the
Bible.

Regards

Rolf

Rolf Furuli