b-hebrew - Re: Linguistic assumptions, long (Rolf, also Dave)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Linguistic assumptions, long (Rolf, also Dave)
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 11:36:33 +0200

Dear Clay,

I am not sure who the people you mention are and what is the sense of
"'core' of semantic-functional significance". But regarding aspect, the
situation i simple as far as English is concerned. The characteristic of
the imperfective aspect (not only its 'core'), represented by present
participle, is that reference time intersects event time at the nucleus
(before the end). The characteritic of the perfective aspect, represented
by the perfect, is that reference time intersects event time at the coda.
This is a non-cancelable relationship because it is always like that.
Therefore Broman Olsen uses the term "semantic meaning".

The definition is very clear, and it can be falsified by finding examples
where the relationship between ET and RT is different from the definition.
We cannot presume that the situation in Hebrew is similar to English, but
because the definition is so clearcut, I cannot think of a better model by
which to test Hebrew aspect.

Regards
Rolf

Rolf Furuli