b-hebrew - Re: Linguistic assumptions, long (Rolf, also Dave)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Linguistic assumptions, long (Rolf, also Dave)
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2000 18:11:17 +0200

Dear Kimmo,

Your post contains much sound linguistic theory, but as you yourself
express, it is difficult to comment on it all. While we both have a
knowledge of fundamental linguistic principles, it appears that our
approach to dead languages is very different. Just allow me a few general
comments. I think you share my view regaring the following points:

1) A dead language can never be fully understood.
2) No description of Hebrew verbs is the final one.

I agree there are problems with a strict differentiation between pragmatics
and semantics. However, which theory or model is without its problems?
Because of this, I try to avoid very theoretic and hingflying theories and
models, in order not to force upon Hebrew models which are foreign to it.
Instead I try to use more down-to-the-earth models, whose parts can be
readily understood.

The realization that punctuality is not a semantic property is important,
because many wrong conclusions have been drawn of the basis that it is
semantic. The realization that durativity, dynamicity, or telicity of verbs
marked for one of these characteristics is semantic, may also be helpful.
These are simple pospositions which can be falsified. And note, there is no
problem for the proposition that it sometimes is difficult to see if a
particular construction is punctual or durative. And further, there is no
problem that polysemy exists and that it is sometimes difficult to be sure
whether or not a construction is durative, dynamic, or telic. When *some*
constructions have these properties and they are cancelable in these
constructions, the proposition is true.

I am surpised that you are uncomfortable with the tense model of Broman
Olsen (see my words below and your comments).

CH:>>RF Regarding tense, Broman Olsen's scheme of semantic meaning is as
follows:
>> Past tense: Reference time comes before the deictic point.
>> Present tense: RT coincides with C.
>> Future tense: RT comes after C.
>> This relationship is uncancellable, and it can be applied to Hebrew. If we
>> find one form with a particular morphology, to be a tense, its occurrences
>> should have a uniform pattern as to the relationship between RT and C. No
>> such form exists, and therefore Hebrew does not have grammaticalized
>> tenses.
>
>CH:I think here we are in danger of making the same mistake Porter made (in
>my opinion) with his analysis of Greek. Yes, we find that there is no
>time relation with any Greek 'tense' that could not be canceled (contra
>Olsen, as argued by Decker). But that does not justify the idea that
>Greek has no tense. Take English, for example. There are excpetions to
>the past meaning of the imperfect (If I was to come...). So English does
>not have tense either (you could find exceptions to any English tense).
>Or Finnish, even more temporal language (though without an obligatory
>future tense). The Finnish imperfect does code past tense almost always
>(including conditionals). But there is a future or present referring,
>rare use, based on presupposition. If I assume that you know something
>already, I could, in some contexts, refer to it with the imperfect even
>if the situation is in the future (the logic being that this WAS how the
>situation would stand - as you know it from the past information, even
>though the situation is in the future). If
>the assumption is not shared, the expression can result in
>misunderstandings. So the Finnish imperfect is no past tense either? But
>in almost any context (with some exceptions, like the one I described
>above) the native intuition is that the form codes exactly past tense,
>and does not allow for other interpretations.

The model is extremely simple and is not difficult to grasp for anyone with
a basic linguistic knowledge, and no highflying theories are necessary. A
discussion of whether this model fits the English verbal system (or the
Hebrew for that matter) is also quite simple. So I do not see that your
objections have much force (if I understand you correctly).

The definition of tense is quite unproblematic, namely, "a
grammaticalization of location in time." I would go so far as to say that
if we cannot use Broman Olsen's scheme as one of reference for the study of
Hebrew, because some languages have some "counterexamples", linguistic
analysis of a language would be a waste of time, and we would have
linguistic anarchy, anything would be fine for everything. Nobody denies
that verbs with past tense can be used in situations with non-past
reference in many languages. But that fact alone does not nullify Broman
Olsen's scheme or her claim that the relationship between the deictic point
(C) and reference time (RT) in the different tenses can be viewed as
semantic.

Comrie discusses this problem (Tense 1985:19,20) His conclusions regarding
English examples is as follows: "In order to abandon the characterisation
of the English past as indicating basically past time reference, it would
be necessary to show that there is some alternative characterisation of its
meaning, from which past time reference, as well as politeness (and perhaps
present counterfactuality) would all fall out automatically as special
cases. Suggestions that have been made in the literature strike me as
either incorrect (if interpreted literally) or as too vague to be
testable." You even tell that your Finnish example is a special case, and
special cases are not problematic for the scheme.

I therefore think I am on sound linguistic ground when I compare all the
Hebrew finite verbs regarding the relationship between C and RT, and say
that because there is no uniform pattern, tense is not grammaticalized. I
am open for the view that there may be exceptions in the material, so a
group with a high score of uniformity (such as WAYYIQTOL) can have a
uniform relationship after all. But in that case I demand that it must be
explained why all these forms are exceptions (the way Comrie says).
Something which is a half tense is in my view nonsensical; either a verb
form is a tense ("grammaticalization of location in time") or it is not a
tense (BTV: Has anyone come up with an example of a non-past use of Greek
Imperfect?) The advantage of the described approach, is that something
which allways has been assumed to be semantic (the role of WAYYIQTOLs in
narrative), can be reviwed, and can be analyzed for pragmatic
characteristics.

Regarding aspect (I differentiate strictly between "asepct" (the
non-deictic relationship between event time and reference time) and
Aktionsart (the lexical meaning and nature of verbs- durative, punctual
etc). I think I am on the same sound linguistic ground when I compare all
the Hebrew verbs on the basis of the relationship between event time (ET)
and RT, and I think this gives information about Hebrew aspect.

I welcome the use of any scientific model for the study of Hebrew verbs; we
can learn something from them all. But we should remember that the results
are not better than their assumptions. One assumption which is fundamental
for most models, is that Hebrew has four conjugations. If it has just two,
as I claim, it is easy to see why many of the traditional conclusions are
wrong. I have never seen a model with so few assumptions as Broman Olsen's
model; it has a great explanatory force, and it is simple. This is the
reason why I use it.

Regards

Rolf

Rolf Furuli