b-hebrew - Re: Linguistic assumptions, long (Rolf, also Dave)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Linguistic assumptions, long (Rolf, also Dave)
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 15:45:47 +0200

Dear Peter,

I think it is better that you come up with an example of your own. My
example was used to show that strange cases are possible. Counter-examples
should not be special cases, and as long as we do not have the context, (as
I at present don't) we cannot be certain as to the relationship between RT
and ET in that particular case. The most natural interpretation of the
clause, without having seen the context, is that "he" moved the cuopboard
along the floor and opened it in the middle of the crossing event. But this
was evidently not the meaning of the author. But why not, I do not know.

Regards
Rolf

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo