b-hebrew - Re: Genesis 22:1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Naama Zahavi-Ely <nxzaha AT wm.edu>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Genesis 22:1
  • Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 10:16:50 -0500

Hello! I always understood the x-qatal phrase in Genesis 22:1 as saying, in
effect,
"what follows was a TEST" -- that is, notifying the reader in advance and
with emphasis
that the request from God to Abraham to sacrifice his son was a test, that
God was not
really interested in getting a human sacrifice but rather in Abraham's
willingness to
obey. There is a subtle difference between that and your translation: your
translation is like putting a descriptive title at the top of a paragraph, my
understanding is rather like a notification that provides a specific viewing
point from
which to observe a story that might otherwise be read differently.

Best wishes,

Naama