b-hebrew - Genesis 22:1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lee R. Martin" <lmartin AT vol.com>
  • To: Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Genesis 22:1
  • Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 09:12:41 -0500

Dear Friends,
How would you exegete the clauses in Genesis 22:1?
I am thinking of the following:
1- The verse begins with wayyiqtol of HYH, a discourse marker,
introducing a new element into the narrative, namely the testing of
Abram.
2- The first clause is temporal, providing a setting for the upcoming
narrative: "And it happened after these events..."
3- The second clause is where I need your help. It is a x-qatal clause.
"and God tested Abram."
4- The third clause begins with wayyiqtol, which suggests the beginning
of the narrative proper. "And God said to him, "Abram..."

I am thinking that the second clause is the apodosis (a la Niccacci) to
the first clause. The two clauses go together to form the
introduction/background/setting for the narrative that begins with the
third clause. I might paraphrase the interpretation thusly: "After
these events, the testing of Abraham happened."

Niccacci's discussion of Wayihi (sections 31,32) points to the fact that
a temporal circumstance may be followed by wayyiqtol or x-qatal, and
many examples may be given. He does not, however, explain the difference
between the two constructions. He says that both structures refer to "a
single past action." So what is the difference between them?

--

Lee R. Martin
Pastor, Prospect Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee