b-hebrew - Legend of Sargon

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Noel O'Riordan" <nor AT iol.ie>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Legend of Sargon
  • Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 16:47:16 -0000

Hello All

There appears to be no consensus concerning Moses' name, it is either taken as having Egyptian roots, based on the Egyptian word, mesi, (give birth) and seen in the Egyptian names such as Tothmoses.  Or else it is based on the Hebrew verb, mesa, (to draw out)

The Legend of Sargon's birth and rearing contains the following.

The river bore me up and carried me to Akki, the drawer of water.
Akki, the drawer of water, took me as his son and reared me. (ANET p119)

Is the 'drawer of water' phrase co-incidental (Perhaps because of translation from the Akkadian?) with the Hebrew etymology of Moses name, and is there a direct link evident between the Sargon and the Moses myths, or merely a repetition of a common ANE theme.

Best regards

Noel O'Riordan

  • Legend of Sargon, Noel O'Riordan, 03/07/2000