b-hebrew - Re: Exodus, Philistines, contra Bimson & Drews

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Polycarp66 AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Exodus, Philistines, contra Bimson & Drews
  • Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 19:20:53 EST

In a message dated 2/6/2000 4:30:34 PM Central Daylight Time,
gathas AT mail.usyd.edu.au writes:

<<
Yes, I was in fact referring to this claim. My memory fails me on this one
too, though. I
haven't, however, heard of a connection between Samson and Achilles. Both
have the love of
a woman (Delilah in Samson's case, Briseis in Achilles' case) as a real
thorn in the side,
and both meet tragic ends which happen to facilitate a great defeat of the
enemy.

But the similarity seems to end there. The circumstances under which the
woman becomes a "real thorn in the side" bears no resemblance. In the case
of Samson, the woman is an agent provocateur. In the Illiad Briseis is
already Achilles' woman and is taken by his superior. I see no correlation
here.

gfsomsel