b-hebrew - Re: Exodus, Philistines, contra Bimson & Drews

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk"<peter_kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: <mattfeld AT mail.pjsnet.com>
  • Cc: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Exodus, Philistines, contra Bimson & Drews
  • Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 12:19:53 -0500

The problem with your case, Walter, is that you are now simply citing
one set of scholars, Katzenstein and Dothan, against another set,
Bimson and Drews. You have no way to be sure which is correct without
looking at the primary evidence. John Bimson quoted some of this (in
translation), which simply does not support Katzenstein's conclusion
that "Rameses settled the conquered Philistines, mostly as Egyptian
mercenaries, in the coastal towns, Gaza, Ashkelon, and Ashdod." Does
Katzenstein have other evidence for his conclusion, or is this a case
of speculation repeated enough times being taken as truth?

I am guessing that you, rather than the authors, have capitalised some
passages especially relevant to your argument. I think you should
state that you are doing that, if you do.

Peter Kirk