b-hebrew - Re: Re[2]: Rohl's fallacious chronology

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ian Hutchesson <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Re[2]: Rohl's fallacious chronology
  • Date: Sun, 03 Oct 1999 07:01:31 +0200

At 20.33 02/10/99 -0700, Dave Washburn wrote:

>> >Perhaps instead of pontificating, you should actually go READ THE
>> >BOOK and get a clue about the evidence that is actually presented
>> >therein.
>>
>> As you haven't read anything that would be called status quo you have no
>> way of judging anything about Rohl.
>
>Ian, you have no idea what I have or haven't read unless you can
>claim omniscience and can read my mind.

You have demonstrated what you have read with your support for Rohl's
rehashings. I have shown where Rohl's Assyrian errors are. I have briefly
shown the errors involved in not considering the archaeology, ie that
Ramses III material is found in the basic stratum of the sea peoples'
artifacts. It's not too hard to decide given the evidence of the dating
from the Assyrian kinglists that the Egyptian materials relating to
Amenhotep III and Akhenaten are as placed in the status quo. The fact that
Ramses III objects were found in the stratum with the materials of the sea
peoples is consistent with the status quo. This is material available to be
read in the status quo. You obviously haven't read it.

>Chances are I've read
>as much as you have. In fact, since you haven't read Rohl, I've
>actually read one more.

I've cited enough literature for you on the subject to help set you straight.

>Please stop assuming you know what I
>have or have not read, because you're not qualified to judge.

Dave, your efforts show what you know. Rohl and little else.

>You
>seem to assume that if someone doesn't accept the status quo,
>they must not have read it. Just one more in a long string of
>uninformed presumptions.

The information already available from the status quo has invalidated Rohl.

Cheers,

Ian