b-hebrew - Re[2]: Rohl's fallacious chronology

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: Rohl's fallacious chronology
  • Date: Sat, 02 Oct 1999 12:49:53 -0400

This book was clearly written for a popular audience. Rohl has written
various scientific papers which are cited in his book which are no
doubt intended for a more scholarly audience. Read them if you prefer.
One of his aims is to answer the important scholarly (as well as
religious) question concerning the historicity of one of the greatest
works of ancient history and literature which has come down to us, the
Hebrew Bible. You are free to question Rohl's arguments, but please
don't try to accuse anyone with an interest in relating the Hebrew
Bible to historical events as anti-scholarly. This is an important
area of scholarly research, and much as you might not like it, it has
not yet been demonstrated that the Hebrew Bible is a work of
Hellenistic fiction with no historical value.

Peter Kirk