b-hebrew - re: Hebrew Course on Tape (audio/pix)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: yochanan bitan <ButhFam AT compuserve.com>
  • To: "Tony Starks" <data7201 AT aol.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: re: Hebrew Course on Tape (audio/pix)
  • Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 04:15:16 -0400

> Do anyone know of a course teaching hebrew grammar on tape?
> First year or second year hebrew? This method of teaching,I believe is
> very effective.If you know of such a course(s)please e-mail me.

Yes, a wonderful one :-) [ OK, i'm an interested party, but i've got some
happy students :-) ]
I was going to save this until it was available from an internet site, but
it is already available here in Jerusalem and being shipped. So ---

Living Biblical Hebrew for Everyone,
Volume One with 3 CD's
by Yochanan Bitan
(Jerusalem Perspective, 1999)

It is 1000 pictures with audio descriptions in Biblical Hebrew. The book
can only be used with the audio CDs, and the audio CDs can only be used
with the book. The method is fun and leads a person to start thinking
directly in Biblical Hebrew. It is useful for teenagers, non-English
speakers, English speakers, graduate students and people who have already
started learning through reading and a second language. It awakens the
student to what it means to internalize the language and leads them through
the first door in a way that reading a book can't.
After the student has learned the 1000 pictures through "immersion", a
recorded, self-discovery process teaches reading the alphabet/'phonics' and
then the written transcripts of the 1000 pictures are read and studied.
Instructions for printing Hebrew and an index of vocabulary are also
included.
Pronunciation is "mizraHi Israeli Hebrew" (i.e. standard 5-vowel israeli
plus `ayin and Het)
This is an opportunity for anyone who would like to thoroughly learn
Biblical Hebrew and who would like to "step inside the language".

How to order?
Volume One with 3 CDs is $65 (the same with cassettes is $60)
plus air mail shipping
to Europe is $10,
to US or Africa is $12,
to East Asia, Australia or South America $15

Send a check to:
Dr. Randall Buth
Learning Studio for Biblical Hebrew
POB 82340
90805 Ma`oz Tsyon (Jerusalem)
ISRAEL

(VISA, Mastercard also accepted)

- - -
[NB: the internet list price for Volume One will be $79]

[[ How does one continue?
Currently, a 216-page Volume Two covers Jonah and Ruth with an
audio-lingual course. Each lesson has a required dialogue to memorize, many
drills, interspersed grammar notes in English, annotated and fully glossed
readings of the Biblical text, and a written assignment. Each lesson is
fully recorded on cassette. (English is required for Volume Two, though a
Korean version is already in development.) This 11 cassette course (beta
version) is awaiting laboratory time to be recorded on 6 CDs. "Beta version
Volume 2" is $65, Volume Two with 6 CDs [available at SBL in November] will
be $120. ]]

Blessings for a new year
Randall Buth

  • re: Hebrew Course on Tape (audio/pix), yochanan bitan, 10/01/1999