b-hebrew - Re[4]: Telic YIQTOLs WITH past meaning

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[4]: Telic YIQTOLs WITH past meaning
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 13:29:54 +0200

Dear Peter,

I have read your arguments carefully. Before (B+RM) you wrote this message
I did not understand what your arguments were all about. Now I think I
understand what your arguments are, but I must admit that I have never
heard anything like them, and I think they they are based upon a faulty
foundation.

If I understand you correctly, I would say that inherrent in your arguments
are two basic problems:
(1) A confusion of the deictic point and the sequence of events.
(2) An application of characteristics of indirect speech in situations
where these are impossible to use.

Your principal problem is a confusion of the deictic point in the
expression in Jer 47:1. The sentence above (in this post) starting with
"Before (B+RM)" and ending with "all about" that consists of a subordinate
and a main clause may illustrate the problem. What is the deictic point of
this sentence? It is of course the time I write my post. The clause "before
you wrote this message" is telic, and this event was terminated before C
(my writing of the post). The same is true of the event "I did not
understand". It is true that "I did not understand" is prepast compared
with "before you wrote this message", but you cannot on that basis
establish a "deictic point" connected with "I did not understand" and on
this basis argue that "before you wrote this post" is future. I have never
seen such arguments in the linguistic literature, and would like to ask if
you can refer to any source. It is true that C is pragmatic and must be
fixed by help of the context. But in most cases does C represent speech
time (or the time of writing), and where this is not the case, there must
be clear indicators that it deviates from the normal.

Your English example below," "Here he is. I said that he would come." can
be compared with Gen 27:33 (RSV) " I ate it just before (B+RM) you came
and I blessed him - and indeed he will be blessed!" Do you deny that the
deictic point here is speech time, that is, Isaac's utterance? I find the
following relationships between R and C in this verse.

(1) "I ate (WAYYIQTOL) " R>C
(2) "I blessed him (WAYYIQTOL)" R>C /(2) occurred after (1)/
(3) "you came (YIQTOL)" R>C /(1) and (2) occurred before (3)/
(4) "he will be blessed (YIQTOL and passive participle) C>R /(4) holds
after (3)/

In (1), (2), and (3) reference time precedes the deictic point, but in (4)
refence time comes after the deictic point. I am not aware of any
linguistic model or system that tries to establish deictic points between
the different clauses in a passage. To say that the thought of this passage
is "I ate it just before (B+RM) you would come (or, will come)", is in my
eyes completely impossible. Is this a way of handling passages that SIL
translators learn, or is it simply a theory of yours?

And what about the other examples that I mentioned in my first post?

Is. 57:17 Because of the iniquity of his covetousness I was angry (QATAL),
I smote him WEYIQTOL), I hid (QATAL) my face and was angry (WEYIQTOL);" Is
the first WEYIQTOL (as well as the second) future? The compilators of BHS
saw a problem here and without any manuscript evidence suggested an
emendation.

What about the YIQTOLs of NKH in 2 Kings 8:29; 9:15; 15:16, are they also
future?

Regards
Rolf

Rolf Furuli