b-hebrew - Re: Tetragrammaton

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Tetragrammaton
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 21:38:36 +0200

Dear Mark,

If this is a scholarly list, I suggest that we cease using ad hominem
arguments. Why should we bring Jehovah´s Witnesses or any other religious
denomination into the discussion, as you have done several times? Because
this already has been done and the JW's have been misrepresented, let me
add the following note:

In the course of writing a book about Bible translation I made a thorough
study of the New World Translation of Jehovah's Witnesses, and the
following quote from the Foreword of "The New World Translation of the
Christian Greek Scriptures, 1950, p 25, shows that your claim below is
wrong:

"While inclining to view the pronunciation "Yah.weh'" as the more correct
way, we have retained the form "Jehovah" because of people's familiarity
with it since the 14th century. Moreover, it preserves, equally with other
forms, the four letters of the tetragrammaton JHVH."

Regards
Rolf

Rolf Furuli
Lecturer in Semitic languages