b-hebrew - Re: Tetragrammaton

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lee R. Martin" <lmartin AT vol.com>
  • To: Moshe Shulman <mshulman AT ix.netcom.com>, Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Tetragrammaton
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 13:19:56 -0400

I am certainly not an expert on Massoretic tradition, but according to the
Hebrew text
in my Bibleworks 4.0, there are three sets of vowels used with the
Tetragrammaton.
See Gen. 15:2, Deu. 3:24; and Gen. 2:4 for the three variations (I realize,
however,
that the composite sheva in Gen.15:2 is essentially the same as the simple
sheva in
Deu.3:24, comprising the vowels from elohim). Note also the insertion of
cholem in
BaYHoVaH in Jer. 3:23. and LaYHoVaH in Ex.13:12 et al.

Moshe Shulman wrote:

> At 10:32 AM 4/29/99 EDT, you wrote:
> >In a message dated 4/28/99 10:34:15 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> >churchyh AT ccwf.cc.utexas.edu writes:
> >Third, what evidence do you have that the "vowels points of 'Adonai' were
> >added to the consonants of the Tetragrammaton"?
>
> There are two sets of vowel point that are found. I could look up the
> source, but his source is from Jewish tradition (who is the source of the
> vowels to begin with.)
>
> moshe shulman mshulman AT ix.netcom.com 718-436-7705
> http://www.chassidus.net chassidus website
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: lmartin AT vol.com

Lee R. Martin
Pastor, Prospect Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee
Instructor in Hebrew and Old Testament
Church of God Theological Seminary
http://earth.vol.com/~lmartin/