b-hebrew - Re: Testy language

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Moshe Shulman <mshulman AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Testy language
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 20:07:16

At 02:33 PM 04/29/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>Shalom,
>On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, Gregory and Carol Yeager wrote:
>> Someone wrote:
>That someone is me. You can call me Joseph or Yocef if you prefer.
>> I rather disagree. Listserves and eMail is impersonal. It's just
>> courtesy to use a real name, as you would speak to someone with a real
>> face.
>Would this make any difference within the content of the issue we are
>debating on? Obviously not, unless we were debating the meaning of my
>name. ;)

Yosef, I think you are taking too much offence where it is not intended.
This type of list is not the same as internet ngs. In scholarly lists
people are friendly and intereact in order to better understand the
subject. There are lists where scholars from all over the world meet and
then write to each other to further knowledge in their field. (I was
writting to a scholar in Israel for a while to help her with a particular
subject that I had some information on.) It just does not seem
'comfortable' to be writing on a list like this to someone who signs in as
THEBIGGUY or whatever nom de plume someone uses.

Moshe Shulman mshulman AT ix.netcom.com 718-436-7705
http://www.chassidus.net Chassidus Website

  • Testy language, Gregory and Carol Yeager, 04/29/1999
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Testy language, yahua'sef, 04/29/1999
    • Re: Testy language, Moshe Shulman, 04/29/1999