b-hebrew - Re: Testy language

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "yahua'sef" <gs02wmr AT panther.Gsu.EDU>
  • To: Gregory and Carol Yeager <cgyeager AT mwci.net>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Testy language
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 14:33:57 -0400 (EDT)

Shalom,

On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, Gregory and Carol Yeager wrote:
> Someone wrote:

That someone is me. You can call me Joseph or Yocef if you prefer.

> I rather disagree. Listserves and eMail is impersonal. It's just
> courtesy to use a real name, as you would speak to someone with a real
> face.

Here's a surprise. We're not speaking face to face. Why is it of any
relevance what my Birth name is? IF I tell you my name is:

Mr. Jack Rogers
Mr. Brian Smith
Mr. Gene Caldwell
Mr. Andrew Brooks

Would this make any difference within the content of the issue we are
debating on? Obviously not, unless we were debating the meaning of my
name. ;)

> I think the use of words like "flawed and reactionary" are
> themselves what is inappropriate.

Well, I rather tend to think that demanding people reveal personal
information about the other person behind the computer screen is
inappropriate and uncalled for.

> BTW Matres Lectionis are letters waw, he and yodh placed into the
> Hebrew text to act as "semi-vowels" or at least as markers to help in
> the reading of the consonatal text. It's latin for Mothers of Reading.

Thanks.

Shalom Alaekhem.

  • Testy language, Gregory and Carol Yeager, 04/29/1999
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Testy language, yahua'sef, 04/29/1999
    • Re: Testy language, Moshe Shulman, 04/29/1999