b-hebrew - Re: wehashkem weshaloach in Jeremiah 26:5

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <596547 AT ican.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: wehashkem weshaloach in Jeremiah 26:5
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 20:09:42 -0500

Dear Moon,

I certainly don't think the Jer text is easy! Your question was a good
one, and I do not think the use of the infin. absolutes there can be called
common, at least as far as I have noticed, nevertheless, I do think it
essentially adverbial, modifying the participle. Notice the text crit.
note that suggests the vav before ha$cem should be omitted. That does
create a little more smoothly flowing read. You may want to check out
Gesenius, section 113k.

Shalom,
Bryan

You wrote:

> Does "both a rising early and a sending" modify "I am sending to you",
> as "'abarek:ka" modifies "barek" in "barek `barek:ka"? This thought did
> not
> occur to me because unlike Gen 22:17, the infinitive does not precede
> the verb in Jer 26:4-5, and the verb is not a finite verb but a
> participle.
> Moreover the infinitive clause is preceded by waw in Jer 26:4-5. These
> factors prevented me from thinking of the typical use of infinitive
> absolute
> as in Gen 22:17. I guess my understanding of infinitive absolute is too
> limited.

B. M. Rocine
Associate Pastor
Living Word Church