b-hebrew - wehashkem weshaloach in Jeremiah 26:5

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Moon-Ryul Jung" <moon AT computing.soongsil.ac.kr>
  • To: b-hebrew
  • Subject: wehashkem weshaloach in Jeremiah 26:5
  • Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 23:0:59

Dear Members:

I find
"wehashkem weshaloach we l'o shma'tem"
andtobeginearly andtosend and not youlistened

in Jeremiah 26:5 difficult to interpret. This is a clause that explains
the preceding clause. LXX translates it to

"orthrou kai apesteila kai ouk eisekousate mou"
earlyinthemorning and Isent and not youlistened tome

Here, "orthrou" goes with the preceding clause. Taking "earlyinthemorning"
to mean "eagerly", the LXX translation means "the prophets which I have
been sending to you eagerly - I sent but you did not listen to me".

But I do not understand how "shaloach (infinitive)" can be taken to mean
"I sent".

NIV regards "wehashkem (infinitive) weshaloach (infinitive)" as a unit, and
takes it to mean "namely, sending repeatedly". The whole clause
turns out to mean "the prophets which I have been sending, even sending
repeatedly, even though you have not listened".

But I do not understand how "hashkem (infinitive) weshaloach (infinitive"
tobeginearly andtosend
can mean "sending repeatedly"? Is this an established construct?

Sincerely,

Moon-Ryul Jung, Ph.D.
Dept. of Computer Science
Soongsil University,