acawiki-general - Re: [acawiki-general] Conference naming scheme?

acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Jodi Schneider <jschneider AT pobox.com>
  • To: Jim Pitman <pitman AT stat.berkeley.edu>
  • Cc: mark AT cottagelabs.com, acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [acawiki-general] Conference naming scheme?
  • Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 17:40:28 +0100

Thanks for these thoughts, Jim. I think you're on to something. :)

I've added this to the roadmap, in hopes that metadata normalization can get some attention:
http://acawiki.org/index.php?title=Roadmap&action="historysubmit&diff=6299&oldid=6298

Do you have a list of the open aggregations already? I'm wondering whether any of the Code4Lib-related groups are taking on the journal normalization; I've run across some related projects from time to time but I've lost track of them.

-Jodi

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 2:22 PM, Jim Pitman <pitman AT stat.berkeley.edu> wrote:
Jodi Schneider <jschneider AT pobox.com> wrote:

> Should we try to normalize the way conferences are named?
> Thoughts?

Dont reinvent the wheel. Conference venues in CS (where they dominate journals
as an organizational structure for the literature) have been indexed extensively by
DBLP http://www.informatik.uni-trier.de/~ley/db/
and Microsoft Academic Search
http://academic.research.microsoft.com/?SearchDomain=2
Look at the data dumps and APIs provided by these services, and adopt whatever
normalization will allow users to frictionlessly import data from such sources.
Better still, do a bulk harvesting from these and other sources and support an API to query for basic venue information
which could be used to provide _javascript_ dropdown for auto-completion when user starts to type in a venue name.

While on this topic, what is Acawiki doing about normalization of journal names?
>From time to time I have tried to interest various partners in maintaining an authorititive list of
journals across all fields, with just very basic information (full name, common abbrevs, issn, publisher, date range,
scope description, urls ). There are a number of more or less open aggregations already available which could be pooled for this
purpose.  I want to see creation and maintenance of an authoritative open index of journals, available with a RESTful
 API. The number of partners who have told me "sure we can do that, lets just do it" and then been unable to deliver
has incremented by about 1 per year for the last 10 years. Why is this so hard?
There are only a few hundred K journals. Cant we crowdsource the maintenance of basic information about them?

--Jim
Jim Pitman
Director, Bibliographic Knowledge Network Project
http://www.bibkn.org/
Professor of Statistics and Mathematics
University of California
367 Evans Hall # 3860