acawiki-general - Re: [acawiki-general] Conference naming scheme?

acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: pitman AT stat.Berkeley.EDU (Jim Pitman)
  • To: jschneider AT pobox.com, acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: mark AT cottagelabs.com
  • Subject: Re: [acawiki-general] Conference naming scheme?
  • Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2011 06:22:36 -0700

Jodi Schneider <jschneider AT pobox.com> wrote:

> Should we try to normalize the way conferences are named?
> Thoughts?

Dont reinvent the wheel. Conference venues in CS (where they dominate journals
as an organizational structure for the literature) have been indexed
extensively by
DBLP http://www.informatik.uni-trier.de/~ley/db/
and Microsoft Academic Search
http://academic.research.microsoft.com/?SearchDomain=2
Look at the data dumps and APIs provided by these services, and adopt whatever
normalization will allow users to frictionlessly import data from such
sources.
Better still, do a bulk harvesting from these and other sources and support
an API to query for basic venue information
which could be used to provide javascript dropdown for auto-completion when
user starts to type in a venue name.

While on this topic, what is Acawiki doing about normalization of journal
names?
>From time to time I have tried to interest various partners in maintaining
>an authorititive list of
journals across all fields, with just very basic information (full name,
common abbrevs, issn, publisher, date range,
scope description, urls ). There are a number of more or less open
aggregations already available which could be pooled for this
purpose. I want to see creation and maintenance of an authoritative open
index of journals, available with a RESTful
API. The number of partners who have told me "sure we can do that, lets just
do it" and then been unable to deliver
has incremented by about 1 per year for the last 10 years. Why is this so
hard?
There are only a few hundred K journals. Cant we crowdsource the maintenance
of basic information about them?

--Jim
Jim Pitman
Director, Bibliographic Knowledge Network Project
http://www.bibkn.org/
Professor of Statistics and Mathematics
University of California
367 Evans Hall # 3860