xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Control output of CDATA sections

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: "Michael Kay" <mike AT saxonica.com>
  • To: "'Hughes, Rob'" <hughes AT fgm.com>, "'Elliotte Harold'" <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Control output of CDATA sections
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 15:20:57 -0000

> For the curious, it is not the consuming application that is
> broken. I have an application which transmits XML documents
> across security domains. The security folks have decreed that
> CDATA sections are not allowed due to an unspecified risk.

They might just as well ban all content that contains exclamation marks.

Fortunately, though, writing content without using CDATA sections is usually
quite easy, since most serializers (for example, XSLT serializers) won't
output them unless you ask for them, and perhaps not even then. It's the
guys whose security people demand that everything is in CDATA sections who
have problems.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/