xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] getElementById (not again.... I know, but..)

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: John Cowan <cowan AT ccil.org>
  • To: Tatu Saloranta <cowtowncoder AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: xom-interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] getElementById (not again.... I know, but..)
  • Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 14:58:23 -0400

Tatu Saloranta scripsit:

> So whereas DTD and W3C Schema can inject more info in
> Infoset, RNG is only focused on validation aspects?

Just so. RNG validators accept a document and a schema
and reply either "Valid" or "Invalid with these errors..."

> That does separate concerns, although leaves bit of a
> hole, in the sense that one then still needs to use
> DTD/Schema for typing attributes.

There are products which can look at foreign elements
and attributes embedded in an RNG schema and use them
to drive the construction of typed objects. See
http://relaxng.org/#code-generators .

> But then again, one can use Xml:id to solve this
> particular problem, and other xml specifications for
> other respective problems (XLink, XPointer and so on).
> Maybe it all makes sense, in the end. ;-)

So we hope.

--
Work hard, John Cowan
play hard, cowan AT ccil.org