xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Using CDATA sections

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: John Cowan <cowan AT ccil.org>
  • To: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Using CDATA sections
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 11:49:51 -0400

Elliotte Harold scripsit:
> David Pullara wrote:> Is there a way to tell XOM to encode the text placed
> in an element using > CDATA sections instead of XML encoding each character
> where required?>
>
> No.

In fact, in general there is no way to incorporate arbitrary character
content into a CDATA section unless the encoding is UTF-*. In any
other encoding, characters may need to be output using character
references (XML escapes) and that can't be done within a CDATA section.

--
John Cowan http://ccil.org/~cowan cowan AT ccil.org
We want more school houses and less jails; more books and less arsenals;