xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Element. // Used for XPath and serialization Why is Element.getNamespacePrefixesInScope() private?

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Steve Loughran <steve.loughran AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: xom-interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Element. // Used for XPath and serialization Why is Element.getNamespacePrefixesInScope() private?
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 14:10:34 -0500

Steve,

I'm still trying to wrap my head around your use case. I don't feel I fully understand it yet, so I don't think I can judge whether or not it's valid.

I do have one idea though. Could your case be handled by XPath? In fact would that work better for you? i.e. suppose you got all the namespaces in scope on an element using an XPath expression such as

element.query("namespace::node()");

This would give you a list of all the namespaces in scope on the element, including those inherited from the ancestor. Do you need more than that? If so what? Or perhaps you need less than that?