xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] XSD Schema and Validation problems

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Tatu Saloranta <cowtowncoder AT yahoo.com>
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] XSD Schema and Validation problems
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 13:54:34 -0800 (PST)

--- Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu> wrote:
> XOM currently has no built-in support for RELAX NG.
> It's definitely
> something I'd consider if there were a demand for
> it. So far I've had
> other priorities, and no one's asked for RELAX NG.
> I'm not sure if it's
> possible to easily tie it to the SAX XMLReader and
> just have XOM pick it
> up like it does with W3C schemas or not.

I think there is no standard way to do it (similar to
using the xsi attributes for indicating validation) --
I think Relax NG people thought it is wrong to have
dependency from docs to schemas, and as such on
purpose left out mechanism to do that. Some xml
processing packages (XXE xml editor, for example) have
proprietary mechanism to support RNG schemas (like
processing instructions embedded).

However, it should be quite easy to plug Multi-Schema
Validator in programmatically; it has SAX content
handler interface, so pipelining events through that
validator should do the trick.
I am planning to do something similar (wrapping MSV so
it can be plugged in to stax parser/writer pipeline)
in very near future, so I hope I'm right about it
being easy to do. ;-)

-+ Tatu +-