xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Maven 2 XOM dependencies

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Adam Constabaris <adamc AT unc.edu>
  • To: xom-interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Maven 2 XOM dependencies
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 10:02:18 -0500

Elliotte Harold wrote:
Adam Constabaris wrote:

This isn't about XOM as such, since it's about Maven 2's dependency resolution mechanism; the short version is that the POM in the ibiblio respository for XOM 1.1 references jaxen, although a jaxen JAR on the classpath is neither a compile-time nor a runtime dependency for XOM.

What if I just removed the reference to Jaxen from the project.xml file? Is that likely to break anything for anyone? XOM does depend on jaxen, but not all of it; and it does so in a fairly unusual way. The Ant build file grabs Jaxen straight out of CVS.

If I understand the point of dependencies in project.xml correctly *and I am not asserting categorically that I do*, since the default compile puts the Jaxen classes XOM 1.1 depends on right there into the jar, Jaxen is not a dependency of XOM as far as Maven 2 is concerned.

(i.e. you don't need a jaxen-*.jar on the classpath at compile or runtime for XOM to work, and this is what Maven's dependency management mechanism is meant to handle for you)

So removing the declaration is probably OK, from the standpoint of dependency management.

AC