xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Tab support for nu.xom.Serializer?

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Wolfgang Hoschek <whoschek AT lbl.gov>
  • To: Alex Blewitt <alex_blewitt AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>, xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Tab support for nu.xom.Serializer?
  • Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 16:03:35 -0400

I concurr with Alex. While mixing tabs and spaces doesn't work well in practise, people should ideally be able to work XOM with either tabs or spaces, whichever fits them best. Clearly XML allows for both, and there's no interop problem anywhere. (For example, XML processor leave a tab as a tab rather than expanding it to N spaces)

The discussion about whether a character has meaning may be of theoretic relevance, but it's hardly of practical value to folks that just want to ident with tabs, perhaps to save some file space. Let's keep it practical.

Wolfgang.