xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] User Questions

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Wolfgang Hoschek <whoschek AT lbl.gov>
  • To: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: xom-interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] User Questions
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 09:17:40 -0700

Your copy method might work, but since it uses recursion it's vulnerable
to stack overflow. The algorithm used in nu.xom.Element is non- recursive
and not limited by the stack size.

What was the largest nesting level you've ever seen in a document? Really? The stack overflows only at level 20000 or so. It's a complete non-issue, but the code is greatly more complicated (and even slower) by the iterative approach. XOM attempts to cater to bogus requirements here. I've said it many times, and I'll say it again.

Wolfgang.