xom-interest - [XOM-interest] XOM article

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: dvholten AT computer.org
  • To: xom-interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [XOM-interest] XOM article
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 12:01:46 GMT

Hello,

it might excite you to know, that an article (in german) about XOM was
published in:

JAVA Spektrum, 03/ 2005, page 50-52, author Marcel Tilly

dvholten
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 10:02:28 +0200
From: Peter Stibrany <stibrany AT cezap.ii.fmph.uniba.sk>
To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: [XOM-interest] Checking arguments for correctnes in getters?

Hello.

I just spent few minutes on finding bug in my test code:
assertNull(copy.getAttribute("xm:hello", NS));

This test passed regardless of copy element having "xm:hello" attribute
or not. Problem is with my "xm:hello" argument, correct form should be
without "xm:" prefix:
assertNull(copy.getAttribute("hello", NS));

This works and check for hello attribute.

Clearly, this is not bug in XOM, but in my code.

I'd like to ask ... what do you think about checking attribute name for
correctnes in getters like getAttribute? Was this considered before? If
yes, why did you chose returning null instead of throwing exception in
case of invalid attribute name? When I passed invalid URI in
getAttribute(), I received exception.

I am asking because I am newbie programmer, and I'd like to learn more
about making design decisions like this.
Thank you for your replies.

-Peter Stibrany

  • [XOM-interest] XOM article, dvholten, 05/16/2005