xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] setInternalDTDSubset bug

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Wolfgang Hoschek <whoschek AT lbl.gov>, xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] setInternalDTDSubset bug
  • Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 13:49:01 -0400

Wolfgang Hoschek wrote:
The bug occurs because Crimson is reporting rubbish as the internal subset, breaking roundtrip ability on subsequent setInternalDTDSubset().
I know you worked around similar bugs before, so I'm wondering if that could be worked around as well. It might well be unfixable. Here is a test (running on the latest stable JDK 1.4.2 on MacOSX):

OK. I get it. The problem is not that Crimson is somehow misparsing the internal DTD subset like I initially thought, but that it's reporting bad data for that subset. Thus the problem is in the Builder, not the setinternalDTDSubset method. Maybe I can reproduce this now.

I'm not sure how to work around it though. Actually, maybe I can now that I realize what's going on but it's going to be a nasty hack. I'll have to recognize if I'm using Crimson, check the content model for #PCDATA, and then append the asterisk manually. Yuck. I'll explore this further.

Have you tested if you can reproduce this with a much simpler document? e.g.:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE doc [
<!ELEMENT doc (#PCDATA|a)*>
]>