xom-interest - RE: [XOM-interest] XSLTransform

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: "Jacobs, Robert A." <ra.jacobs AT ngc.com>
  • To: "Michael Kay" <mike AT saxonica.com>, "XOM (E-mail)" <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [XOM-interest] XSLTransform
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 09:14:33 -0600

>> I am able to get output via command-line use of Saxon
>> (com.icl.saxon.Stylesheet) but I do have to edit my XML file a bit
>> to get it to work (drop the namespace prefixes and cut out the
>> XIncluded files). I'm guessing this is because of the Saxon version?
>
> The namespace issue must be a problem in your code: Saxon 6.5.3 implements
> the XSLT 1.0 spec on namespaces very rigorously.

This is very, VERY likely as this is my first XML application. That's why
I mentioned that I had to edit the file to get things working.

> XIncludes must be expanded before you start an XSLT transformation using
> Saxon: it's not part of XSLT processing to do this for you.

This I figured out. The XIncluded portions were not important to what I
was trying to accomplish at the time so I just cut those pieces out.

I thought I followed the guidance in "XML in a Nutshell" fairly well, but
perhaps I didn't. Here are some fragments from my XMLSchema-instance
document and my XMLSchema document. Anything stand out as erroneous?

=====================================
XMLSchema-instance
=====================================

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" standalone="no" ?>
<jtt:apprentice_tasks
xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude";
xmlns:jtt="http://mil.jcsj2t.jtt30";
xsi:schemaLocation="http://mil.jcsj2t.jtt30 xml/apprentice-schema.xsd">

<jtt:task id="tutor_0000" task_type="meta">

<jtt:title>TUTOR: Select Colors for House Painting</jtt:title>
<jtt:short_title>Select House Colors</jtt:short_title>

<jtt:option>
<jtt:step>task_0001</jtt:step>
<jtt:step>task_0003</jtt:step>
<jtt:step>task_0004</jtt:step>
</jtt:option>

<jtt:step>task_0009</jtt:step>
</jtt:task>
.
.
.
</jtt:apprentice_tasks>

=====================================
XMLSchema
=====================================

<xs:schema xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";
targetNamespace="http://mil.jcsj2t.jtt30";
xmlns:jtt="http://mil.jcsj2t.jtt30";
elementFormDefault="qualified">

<xs:element name="apprentice_tasks">
<xs:annotation>
<xs:documentation>
The "apprentice_tasks" element is the root-level element for
an
apprentice document. It contains the task descriptions and
topic maps that are used to dynamically assemble tutorials.
</xs:documentation>
</xs:annotation>

<xs:complexType>
<xs:sequence>
<xs:element name="task" type="jtt:task_type"
maxOccurs="unbounded">
<xs:annotation>
<xs:documentation>
Each "task" element fulfills one of two roles: it is
either
a meta-level task-of-tasks organizer or a description
of how
to accomplish a particular goal using a particular
tool or
technique.
</xs:documentation>
</xs:annotation>
</xs:element>
</xs:sequence>
</xs:complexType>
</xs:element>

.
.
.
</xs:schema>

Robert A. Jacobs, MSCIS
SPATE/JTT Senior Software Developer
Northrop Grumman Defense Mission Systems
(402) 293-3943 * ra.jacobs AT ngc.com