xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Having a really bad time, and I fear it's all line endings

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Steve Loughran <steve.loughran AT gmail.com>
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Having a really bad time, and I fear it's all line endings
  • Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 21:51:09 +0000

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 15:35:40 -0500, Elliotte Harold
<elharo AT metalab.unc.edu> wrote:
> Andrew Thompson wrote:
>
> > In answer to John Cowan's point: I'm using the default parser from JDK
> > 1.4.2. This would be Xerces 2.X, right?
> >

> Not necessarily. At least some versions of Java 1.4.2 use the much
> buggier Crimson. I think there were one or two versions of Java 1.4 that
> did bundle Xerces, but even there it's not necessarily the most
> up-to-date version.

It's usually crimson, and a real dog to stop it being crimson,
regardless of what you include in your EAR/WAR/ jar directory.

The standard diagnosis technique is to print the classname of the
parser you got, that will tell you. Or you try and turn XSD validation
on through the appropriate options, that is the implicit "you are
running crimson"

Ant1.7 has a new test at compile time for your parser being up to it:

<fail message="bad parser">
<condition><not>
<or>
<parsersupports
feature="http://apache.org/xml/features/validation/schema"/>
<parsersupports
feature="http://java.sun.com/xml/jaxp/properties/schemaSource"/>

And co-incidentally, doesnt complete its test suite on Java1.4 without xerces
http://brutus.apache.org/gump/public/ant/test-ant-no-xerces/gump_work/build_ant_test-ant-no-xerces.txt

-the Java1.5 test suite does run; whatever parser they have there is
better. Whatever XSL engine they have is worse though, at least in
terms of memory footprint. Some people's builds run out of memory when
they didnt before.