xom-interest - RE: [XOM-interest] XPath Namespace Nodes rethink

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: "Michael Kay" <mike AT saxonica.com>
  • To: "'Elliotte Harold'" <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: 'xom-interest' <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [XOM-interest] XPath Namespace Nodes rethink
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 08:56:32 -0000

XSLT has all these problems. The solutions aren't perfect, but they are
workable. Although XSLT doesn't move nodes, it does copy them, and the
problems are essentially the same.

XSLT 2.0 how has two options on xsl:copy-of to control namespace behaviour.
copy-namespaces=yes|no determines whether all the inscope namespaces of an
element are copied when the element is copied. inherit-namespaces=yes|no
determines whether an element that's attached to a new parent inherits the
namespaces that are in scope for the new parent (the XPath data model,
following namepaces 1.1, doesn't require this.)

XQuery has recently introduced similar options, though at the level of the
query prolog rather than an individual copy operation.

It's not elegant - nothing to do with namespaces ever will be - but it
works.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

  • RE: [XOM-interest] XPath Namespace Nodes rethink, Michael Kay, 02/01/2005