xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] [ANN] nux-1.0rc3

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Wolfgang Hoschek <whoschek AT lbl.gov>
  • To: Nils_Kilden-Pedersen AT Countrywide.Com
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] [ANN] nux-1.0rc3
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 18:23:03 -0800

On Jan 25, 2005, at 3:41 PM, Nils_Kilden-Pedersen AT Countrywide.Com wrote:

Does that mean, that Nux 1.0 won't get a final release until 1.1 is
finalized? Or what is the implication of this?

rc3 addresses everything I had on the TODO list, except that if a saxon-8.2.1 release would happen in the near future I'd update to that. rc3 is basically nux-1.0 unless a major problem is reported.

I actually think that if people are using Nux, it's because XPath in XOM
is insufficient. Otherwise they'd just be using XOM, no?
Personally I wouldn't mix'n'match. I'd either use XPath in XOM 1.1
exclusively, or I'd use Nux exclusively for XPath.

If you don't need XOM's XPath, simply ignore its Node.query() methods. This won't break anything or throw any exception due to a missing jaxen jar file since I applied the internal non-intrusive "5 minute indirection patch" that Elliotte somehow can't be bothered with. Personally I don't have any use for XOM's XPath either, but I'm always pro-choice. The assumption is that others might well want XOM's XPath, even in its current CVS form, if only for comparison/evaluation purposes, and so its good to include that.

So nux-1.0 will include xom-1.0 plus

+ DTD subset fixes (fairly important for those who want to be sure that a document read, modified and written with XOM can actually be parsed again)
+ non-intrusive 1.1 CVS Node.query() methods (for the curious experimentalist)
+ the usual XSLTransform patch + Text + Verifier performance patches (which so far haven't been addressed by Elliotte either). See the changelog.

Note that this excludes the new Canonicalizer and xml:id features (nothing wrong with them, but probably not yet stable).

Wolfgang.

Nils