xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] XPath Data Model Mapping

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: John Cowan <jcowan AT reutershealth.com>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] XPath Data Model Mapping
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 12:23:58 -0500

John Cowan wrote:

I think this is Oll Korrect except for the continuing inability to represent
distinct adjacent XPath text nodes in the result. This means, for instance,
that
counting the XPath nodes that match some criterion gives different results
inside an XPath predicate and in Java.

There's no such thing as "adjacent XPath text nodes". This simply does not exist in the XPath data model. The results returned do contain properly ordered, adjacent XOM Text objects.

XOM does not expose any public API for counting XPath nodes. XOM counts XOM nodes and XPath counts XPath nodes. They are not the same thing.

We're arguing off on the edges here. I think most users are going to ignore this completely and get exactly the results they expect.