xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] XOM 1.1: Internal DTD Subsets

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Wolfgang Hoschek <whoschek AT lbl.gov>
  • To: John Cowan <jcowan AT reutershealth.com>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] XOM 1.1: Internal DTD Subsets
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 14:31:39 -0800

On Jan 6, 2005, at 2:21 PM, John Cowan wrote:

Wolfgang Hoschek scripsit:

What I needed was an alternative (high-performance) serialization
mechanism. It serializes a document to some binary format and later
deserializes from the binary format, yielding the *very same* document.
So on deserialization I need a way to say setInternalDTDSubset(String
subset) on an empty document, and pass in the same value I previously
got on serialization from getInternalDTDSubset(). Just that; no fancy
behaviour. The nodes of a document should not be altered in any way by
setInternalDTDSubset, the only thing that should be altered is the
subset string stored in the DocType. Until a better solution can be
found, my workaround simply declares setInternalDTDSubset public.

A better tactic, I think, is to add a method getSealedInternalDTDSubset()
which returns a SealedInternalDTDSubset. This is a trivial class with
no public constructor and only toString, hashCode, and equals methods.
Then setSealedInternalDTDSubset(SealedInternalDTDSubset s) can be
made public.

How could I set the subset if I can't construct it in some way? Remember that there is serialization and deserialization across processes, time and network boundaries in between.

Wolfgang.