xom-interest - Re: Antwort: RE: Antwort: [XOM-interest] Character conversion problem

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: John Cowan <cowan AT ccil.org>
  • To: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Antwort: RE: Antwort: [XOM-interest] Character conversion problem
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 07:55:24 -0500

Elliotte Harold scripsit:

> >0x50000 is 5,242,880 in decimal. However Unicode is not a 32-bit code
> >set. It's actually a 20 bit code set, and the maximum value is a little
> >over one million so 0x50000 is out of range. Off the top of my head, I'm
> >not sure what XOM and XML should do here. I'll have to explore this
> >further.
>
> Never mind. My arithmetic was wrong. 0x50000 is only 327,680 so it is
> within the Unicode range. That's not the problem here.

The highest possible character is U+10FFFF, for the record. Also for
the record, not only is U+50000 unassigned, it's wildly unlikely that
it will ever be assigned. (Characters that need encoding, unlike
computers that need IP addresses, aren't growing in number, except
a tiny bit in the CJK area.) The range U+F0000 to U+10FFFF is for
private use, but otherwise U+3FFFD is almost certainly the highest
character code that will ever be used.

--
A rabbi whose congregation doesn't want John Cowan
to drive him out of town isn't a rabbi, http://www.ccil.org/~cowan