xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Optimizing character checking

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Laurent Bihanic <laurent.bihanic AT atosorigin.com>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Optimizing character checking
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 13:18:43 -0400

At 2:07 PM +0200 5/16/03, Laurent Bihanic wrote:

As someone who sometimes writes custom XMLReaders to convert weird file / database / object formats into XML to feed them into an object model (JDOM, XOM), I like being able to force these verifications to happen rather than having to re-code them in my readers.

You'll still be able to force them by specifying a NodeFactory explicitly, including the standard nu.xom.NodeFactory class that's been used since d1. The new NonverifyingFactory is package private. It's used by default if you don't specify anything else.

For the reasons you cite, I'm tempted to do full verification no matter what. There are parsers in the world that don't do what they're supposed to do. Howewver, the time savings from skipping verification on parse is noticeable.

Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002)
http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xmljava
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0201771861/cafeaulaitA