xom-interest - [XOM-interest] XOM Questions

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Hugues Cassé <casse AT netcourrier.com>
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [XOM-interest] XOM Questions
  • Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 01:42:26 +0100

Hello,
I'm currently developping a version of XOM for the Python languages. This
work drives me to some design questions. These questions are not criticisms
but interrogations of a XOM beginner. Yet, I must great Elliotte Rusty Harold
for the XOM API design that melt simplicity, performance (I think) and power.
Thank you in advance for the answers.

(1) Is there a technical or phylosophic reason not to use of class iterator
in XOM?

(2) I have noted the following problems with the current management of
default namespaces with the current implementation of XOM (as far as I
understand well the source :))
If the read XML file is something like
<pref1:tag1 xmlns="uri2" xmlns:pref1="uri1">
<tag2/>
<tag2/>
</pref1:tag1>
When it will be stored, it will become:
<pref:tag1 xmlns:pref1="uri1">
<tag2 xmlns="uri2"/>
<tag2 xmlns="uri2"/>
</pref1:tag1>
The result may waste a lot of storage and it diverges much from the
original file, eventually making the user unhappy when it read it back.
Although it is a very special case, I'm very sensitive to the human
readibility of XML files.