xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Shemp: an XMLFilter for use with XOM

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org (Xom Interest)
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Shemp: an XMLFilter for use with XOM
  • Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 10:55:21 -0400

This is a very interesting idea. Filtering on input is important and something I intend to explore. I hadn't thought of this, but it could certainly be useful, especially in memory-hungry environments. If a document is big only because it's got many, many essentially independent pieces, then you could process each piece in isolation as a tree. I see a lot of documents that look like this. In fact, almost all the truly huge documents I've seen, look like this. A very interesting idea indeed.

The pattern here is different enough from normal parsing that I suspect this probably shouldn't be part of the core Builder class. The real question mark for the API design is how the client specifies which elements they want selected form the input stream. Do they use name and namespace? Is anything more sophisticated useful? At a minimum I suppose they want multiple names and namespaces. What if elements are recursively nested? I suspect you'd probably only want the outermost.

| Elliotte Rusty Harold | elharo AT metalab.unc.edu | Writer/Programmer |
| XML in a Nutshell, 2nd Edition (O'Reilly, 2002) |
| http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xian2/ |
| http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0596002920/cafeaulaitA/ |
| Read Cafe au Lait for Java News: http://www.cafeaulait.org/ |
| Read Cafe con Leche for XML News: http://www.cafeconleche.org/ |