xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Serializer Again

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: "Bradley S. Huffman" <hip AT a.cs.okstate.edu>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Serializer Again
  • Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 07:56:50 -0400

At 11:13 PM -0500 9/19/02, Bradley S. Huffman wrote:
Line 196 of Serializer (where it prints out additional namespaces) should
be writeMarkup(additionalPrefix).

Yes, it should be. Fixed now. Thanks!

And if you didn't find it, writePCDATA(char c) in TextWriter I think needs
a else around the write(c);

I caught that when I was hunting down your last bug.

Overall, I'm quite proud of Serializer. The patterns it uses to allow it to figure out which characters are available in the requested encoding and which aren't, took a lot of thought and a lot of work. This allows XOM to output actual characters wherever possible rather than just jumping straight to numeric references for all non-ASCII characters like a lot of other serializers do. It's not on the top of my priority list right now, but I should right something up about how this works, so other coders can easily contribute support for their own encodings.

On the other hand, I was so busy figuring out how to do this that I seem to have forgotten about more basic issues like escaping < and & in text content. So far, at least, those bugs and oversights seem able to be fixed without rearchitecting the Serializer class.

| Elliotte Rusty Harold | elharo AT metalab.unc.edu | Writer/Programmer |
| XML in a Nutshell, 2nd Edition (O'Reilly, 2002) |
| http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xian2/ |
| http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0596002920/cafeaulaitA/ |
| Read Cafe au Lait for Java News: http://www.cafeaulait.org/ |
| Read Cafe con Leche for XML News: http://www.cafeconleche.org/ |