unclug - [unclug] HowTo: Setup Tivoli Storage Manager on Ubuntu Linux

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: "Alan Hoyle" <alanh AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: "UNC Linux Users Group" <unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "Carolina Open Source Initiative - The Chapel Hill chapter of Campus Open Source Initiative" <carolina-opensource AT listserv.unc.edu>, "Shelley Simpson" <tms AT unc.edu>
  • Subject: [unclug] HowTo: Setup Tivoli Storage Manager on Ubuntu Linux
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 11:00:51 -0400

For those of you who have seen this before, I updated this for Ubuntu
8.04, the only difference being that 8.04 doesn't seem to install ksh
by default.

I recently built up a linux box using Ubuntu and discovered that it's
not hard to set it up to use the TSM backup client. Assuming you have
a passing familiarity with setting up TSM on RPM-based distributions,
here are the basic steps:

1. Install the "ksh" package and the "alien" package. ksh is needed
since several of the scripts included with TSM use ksh. More
important is "alien" as that lets which lets admins install RPM
packages on Ubuntu or other Debian-based distributions (among other
things). TSM can work without ksh, but without alien, we're stuck.

$ sudo apt-get install ksh alien

2. Download the TSM client software from IBM using your web browser
(documented at "Linux TSM 5.4 Installation Instructions"
http://help.unc.edu/4171).

3. Untar the TSM RPMs...

4. Use alien to install the appropriate RPMs.

$ sudo alien -i --scripts TIVsm-API.i386.rpm TIVsm-BA.i386.rpm

5. Set up the normal TSM configuration (dsm.opt, dsm.sys,
inclexcl.dsm) as documented at http://help.unc.edu/4171.

(Note: I move the inclexcl.dsm into /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/
and update the "inclexcl" line in the dsm.sys accordingly)

6. Run a manual backup.

$ sudo dsmc incremental

7. Open port 1501 to the backup server in your firewall. This will
be different depending on which version of Ubuntu you have installed.

8. Recent versions of Ubuntu (6.10 and later) use "Upstart" instead
of "inittabs." To add dsm to the Upstart configuration, create a
/etc/event.d/dsm-sched file containing:

----------------------- /etc/event.d/dsm-sched -----------------------
# dsm-sched
#
# This service starts the Tivoli Storage Manager "dsmc sched" backup
# process and respawns it as the scheduled backup happens or the
# dsmc process gets killed or dies.

start on runlevel 2
start on runlevel 3
start on runlevel 4
start on runlevel 5

stop on runlevel 0
stop on runlevel 1
stop on runlevel 6

respawn
exec /usr/bin/dsmc sched >/dev/null 2>&1
----------------------- end /etc/event.d/dsm-sched
----------------------------

(Note: Fedora 9 also uses Upstart, and that is projected to be
included in RHEL 6)

9. Start the dsmc sched process

$ sudo start dsm-sched

10. Check to see if the /var/log/dsmsched.log is correct.

$ tail /var/log/dsmsched.log
06/23/08 10:21:15 --- SCHEDULEREC QUERY END
06/23/08 10:21:15 Next operation scheduled:
06/23/08 10:21:15
06/23/08 10:21:15 Schedule Name: AM0230
06/23/08 10:21:15 Action: Incremental
06/23/08 10:21:15 Objects:
06/23/08 10:21:15 Server Window Start: 02:30:00 on 06/24/08
06/23/08 10:21:15
06/23/08 10:21:15 Waiting to be contacted by the server.

11. (optional) If you wish to use the dsmj GUI, you must also install
a Java Runtime Environment (JRE). There are several of JREs
available, and JREs are backwards compatible. Many Ubuntu desktop
workstation users install the ubuntu-restricted-extras package, which
includes Sun's JRE, Adobe Flash and several media codecs. Example
command line for installation:

$ sudo apt-get install sun-java6-bin

Note that the dsmj seems to want to run with root permissions. To run it,
use:

$ sudo dsmj

--
Alan Hoyle - alanh AT unc.edu - http://www.alanhoyle.com/