unclug - Re: [unclug] ssh via wireless...

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: Scott Zentz <zentz AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: UNC Linux Users Group <unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [unclug] ssh via wireless...
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 10:00:27 -0500

Keep in mind that just changing the default port from 22 to some other arbitrary does not mitigate any application port scanning... You will also want to remove the ability to logon as root via ssh. You can also setup a wheel group in /etc/groups that only allow specific users to su to root...

-scz

dsandif wrote:
47C6CAEA.3060805 AT email.unc.edu" type="cite">
you are correct Brian, already done, Thanks!

D-

Brian Payst wrote:

You might also consider changing the port for SSH if you are going to
open it up to the wider world. 22 gets so much traffic from attempts
to connect to a host that I never run SSH on the standard port. I got
tired of parsing through logs with login failures for root, jsmith,
ajohnson, etc.
and sorting out the noise from the issues was a pain.

It should be in /etc/ssh/sshd_config, change the Port line and then
reload sshd

Your clients then have to specify the new port number when connecting,
but that's not too big of a deal.

Brian

Brian Payst, MS
Director of Information Technology
Division of Student Affairs
voice: (919) 962-1469 fax: (919) 962-5241