unclug - [unclug] exporting WMP ratings to Linux

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: "Douglas A. Whitfield" <whitdoug AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: UNC Linux Users Group <unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [unclug] exporting WMP ratings to Linux
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 20:22:37 -0500

I've read that WMP can export its library, http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/knowledgecenter/howto/MediaInfoExp.aspx, but I don't know if any Linux media players can read the file it produces.  I've been poking around and WMP has a feature called "maintain my star ratings as global ratings in files." However, in Vista (at work), when I do this, neither iTunes nor musikCube pick up those ratings.  It appears ratings can be transferred Windows to Windows in other ways too: http://tinyempire.com/shortnotes/fil...er_ratings.htm.  Since I first posted in early December, ubuntuforums.org has been no help.  A post to TriLUG on January 28th also went without answer.  I find it hard to believe no one has had this issue before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and would aide in one less Windows install in the world. :)
--
Douglas A. Whitfield

Carolina Open Source Initiative Co-Founder
http://www.ibiblio.org/cosi
Cell: 919-360-0306

  • [unclug] exporting WMP ratings to Linux, Douglas A. Whitfield, 02/18/2008