unclug - [unclug] sudden wireless issues in Manning

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: "Douglas A. Whitfield" <whitdoug AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: UNC Linux Users Group <unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [unclug] sudden wireless issues in Manning
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 20:09:28 -0500

I tried going to ITS for help, but got nowhere. My ticket is below. Let me summarize the problem first though.

Since August my wireless has worked. My laptop has never had anything but Ubuntu on it. My wireless still works at my house, and, more importantly, at 208 West Franklin St, on UNC-1. In Manning Hall, my wireless does not work. For details, see below, or ask me questions.

Thanks so much for your help!

1/15/2008 18:25 web
Client's Problem Description:
2 Wireless Problem

Worklog:
The more information you can provide below, the faster we can solve the problem.

What is the nature of your problem? (required):

I cannot connect to wireless in Manning, but can at 208. Occasionally, in Manning it will connect, but I will not be able to actually go to any websites.

Please provide the location where you are having the problem (building name, etc) (required): Manning

Your computer's IP and physical/MAC/hardware address (required): 00:1B:77:48:D5:1A

Destination IP address or URL: anything

Is the problem machine a CCI model? no

What is the operating system? Ubuntu Linux

Please cut and past the Ping results:
whitdoug@linux-laptop:~$ ping 152.2.221.116
From 169.254.5.184 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
From 169.254.5.184 icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable