unclug - Re: [unclug] campus-based Ubuntu gutsy mirror

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: Chris Calloway <cbc AT unc.edu>
  • To: UNC Linux Users Group <unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [unclug] campus-based Ubuntu gutsy mirror
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 19:59:35 -0500

I'm just now seeing this after a holidays hard drive crash.

Why isn't ibiblio mirroring Ubuntu?

--
Sincerely,

Chris Calloway
http://www.seacoos.org
office: 332 Chapman Hall phone: (919) 962-4323

Cristóbal Palmer wrote:
Hi LUGers,

I'm writing to share the news of a UNC-CH campus-based Ubuntu *gutsy*
mirror, my desktop. If you're at UNC or NCSU you have access to this
mirror.

Note that I'm NOT, repeat: NOT mirroring -security or deb-src sections
of the repositories, and the only release I'm currently mirroring is
the most recent desktop release, gutsy. There are several reasons for
this. The reason I'm not mirroring deb-src is space. If you need
sources, you can still get them from the main mirrors and chances are
you'll only be getting sources for choice few packages. The reason for
not mirroring -security is that YOU want to get your security updates
as promptly as possible. If you got them from me, you might be delayed
by as much as six hours, and in the case of a critical, remotely
exploitable problem, I wouldn't want that for you.

Use this mirror at your own risk. PLEASE MAKE BACKUPS of both your
/etc/apt/sources.list and any important data before you use this. So,
now that I've given all those caveats, here's the mirror URL:

http://garp.metalab.unc.edu/ubuntu

So how would you use mirror? You'd edit your /etc/apt/sources.list to
point to garp instead of whatever you're currently pointing at, BUT
ONLY for some of the lines. DO NOT set garp as your source for deb-src
or -security lines, again since I'm not mirroring those.

Here's an example of a working /etc/apt/sources.list file:

http://crossfade.metalab.unc.edu/sources.list

Please note that the GUI way to edit your sources file (System ->
Administration -> Software Sources) will not work in this case, since
I'm definitely not an official mirror.

"You're not official! How can I be sure you haven't done something
eeeevil??" I hear you ask. Two things: (1) ultimately you can't, but
that's not really terribly different than much of the rest of the
process that brought you any GNU/Linux distro: it's a matter of
trust. (2) The packages are signed with a gpg key. If I'd changed them
between pulling them from the main mirror and handing them to you,
you'd see it as an error when pulling updates. See
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SecureApt for more on this.

For the curious, here's the page that showed me how to set up the mirror:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Debmirror

If anybody has questions, please let me know.

Cheers,