unclug - Re: [unclug] OLPC for the weekend

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: Tim Cline <tcline AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: UNC Linux Users Group <unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: carolina-opensource AT listserv.unc.edu, Open Source Software Working Group <osswg AT listserv.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [unclug] OLPC for the weekend
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 13:21:03 -0500

My acknowledgement to Uncle Dave Moffat and Alan Hoyle for following info:

To get onto UNC-1:

Register MAC address.

Then

su -

cd /etc/init.d

./NetworkManager stop

./network stop

iwconfig eth0 essid "UNC-1" key thehexkey

[Use the UNC-1 key where I wrote "thehexkey"]

/sbin/dhclient -1 eth0

[Dave's notes indicate that "This sequence removes all the hot-spots from the Neighborhood view, but UNC-1 shows up on the Home view. When you hover over it, or click on it, it will ask you to enter the key again. Be sure to specify hex."

For me, I just ran "iwconfig" until the ESSID changed from "" to "UNC-1". Note: the hex key is input without the leading zeros; i.e., not "010203" but just "123...". Also, the installed browser works, you don't have to install Opera. TC]

I have not determined how to restore the original Neighborhood view,
except to reboot.

David

[Note from alan:
I haven't tried it, but I suspect the following might work:

$ su -
# killall dhclient
# /etc/init.d/network start
# /etc/init.d/NetworkManager start
]

Regards,
Tim Cline

Douglas A. Whitfield wrote:
If anybody wants to play with one of the XO OLPCs, I've got one for the weekend!
There are a couple things that need to try to happen for the customer here at the Dev Office that bought it - installing Opera and connecting to UNC-1 (or at least determining the MAC address so that it can be registered). I've tried ifconfig and iwconfig, but their version of bash has neither (I tried 'which' on both). Be prepared to see a non-KDE, non-GNOME interface. I'm not sure what the interface is called.